Plumbing Tips for a Bathroom Remodel
Planning a bathroom renovation can be very exciting. From choosing light fixtures and tile designs to plumbing fixtures and more, all of the details might seem overwhelming, which is why our team of expert plumbers at Roto-Rooter are here to offer simple tips and advice for a smooth remodel.
The plumbing in your home can often limit what you are able to do with your bathroom remodel. Consulting with a plumber prior to your bathroom renovation can save you time and money by ensuring that you are purchasing the right products for the space provided.
Some homes built before 1980 tend to use narrower water supply pipes than the current standard. What does this mean for you? Narrow supply pipes could limit the volume of water supplied to your new shower head purchase with multiple heads. It is best to know what you are working with prior to remodeling so you can purchase the appropriate fixtures. Drain placement is also another issue that is difficult to change without a substantial cost.
Achieve the look and feel of the bathroom renovation you want with proper guidance from the plumbing experts at Roto-Rooter. Understanding your current plumbing restrictions and home plumbing basics ahead of time can save you the headache of having to do anything twice.
WAYS TO CREATE AN ECO-FRIENDLY SPA BATHROOM
Nowhere is better at eliciting rejuvenation and relaxation than a spa. But spas can be expensive indulgences and most of us need a break from the world more often than we can afford time at a spa. So why not turn your own bathroom into a spa-like environment, bringing in the elements that help you relax at a real spa? Here are six ways to create a spa-like, eco-friendly bathroom:
- Soy or beeswax candles. Candles are the quintessential spa item. But did you know that paraffin candles can produce harmful byproducts into the environment when lit? Scented candles can release even more toxins, and some candles also have wicks made with additives like lead and zinc. If you're going to grace your eco-friendly bathroom with candles, buy soy or beeswax candles. Alternately, you can make your own candles, buy homemade candles, buy candles in glass jars (which can be recycled), and/or use electric candles to reduce your carbon footprint.
- Essential oils. If you forego scented candles, you'll still need a way to create a sensual mood through pleasant smells. Essential oils are a great ""green"" option and can be diffused throughout your eco-friendly bathroom. Lavender, tea tree, eucalyptus, and ylang ylang are popular scents that can help you relax after a long day.
- Waterfall faucet. What's more relaxing than the sound of gently falling water? Not a whole lot. Replace your bathtub faucet with one designed to flow like a waterfall. Look for the WaterSense label to find an efficient faucet that will help you conserve more water.
- All-natural loofah. Loofahs are a great way to help exfoliate your skin and give you a true spa-like bathing or showering experience. But the plastic loofahs many people use are just another item for the trash pile in most homes once they inevitably wear out. Purchase an all-natural loofah, which is grown on a plant, peeled, dried out, and cut into the right size. If you have difficulty finding one, a great alternative is a loofah made from 100 percent recycled plastic.
- Homemade soap. As safe as conventional soap is, there are still numerous chemicals involved in the process of making it. If you want to be as environmentally friendly as possible, stock your spa-like bathroom with homemade soap. You can try making it yourself or purchasing it from a local farmer's or artisan market. Homemade soap often is available in a variety of relaxing scents sure to bring a sense of calm to your tired mind and body.
- Glass jars. Spas are often known for their clean, simple look – so what better way to recreate that then to use glass jars for storage on your eco-friendly bathroom counters and shelves? Use them to store things like bath salts, bath petals, Q-tips, and more. If you can find jars made from recycled glass, that's even better!
In addition to these changes, you can make your bathroom even more eco-friendly by upgrading to low-flow toilets, shower heads, and faucets, as well as installing a tankless water heater to conserve water. For additional tips for maintaining an eco-friendly living space, check out this article from our friends at Abodo. Get started today – and relaxation will be yours whenever you step through your bathroom doors.
STYLISH TRENDS FOR ECO BATHROOMS
Your home bathroom is a sanctuary of sorts, where you can close out the world, enjoy your personal relaxation rituals, and get ready in peace. How it's designed – including décor, color palette, and more – depends largely on your preferences and personality. If you're looking to create an eco-friendly bathroom, then you'll also base designs on what's good for the environment. Here are five trends currently being used in eco bathrooms that make each space not only "green" but stylish as well:
- Eco faucets. Whether you prefer sleek and modern, or more of a vintage look, replacing your faucets is an easy way to create a more environmentally friendly bathroom. Use a slow-flow faucet option or upgrade to faucets with motion sensors. These faucets are easier to keep clean (no handles!) and conserve water in your bathroom.
- Bidets. This toilet feature – which originated somewhere in Europe and has been all the rage in high-end hotels – improves eco bathrooms and does away with the need for toilet paper. Not only will you be making your bathroom more ""green,"" but you'll feel fancy while doing it.
- Natural and recycled materials. One way to create a more "zen" bathroom is to use natural or recycled materials throughout. For example, try recycled glass tiles in the shower, natural stone for countertops, lightweight concrete flooring for bathrooms with radiant-floor heating, natural moisture-resistant products like teak for vanities, and more.
- Natural sunlight. When you don't have to turn on – and remember to turn off – a bunch of lights, you will conserve energy (and probably save on your monthly utility bill as well!). If you're looking to create a more eco-friendly bathroom, put in larger windows and a skylight to make the most of natural lighting.
- Cast-iron tubs and sinks. Not only do cast-iron tubs and sinks lend a solid, rustic feel to eco bathrooms, but they are made of 90 percent recycled material – so you're creating a stylish, cozy space that's also friendly to the environment."
In addition to these trends, many homeowners are installing slow-flow toilets and showerheads, as well as setting up regular maintenance on their plumbing systems to ensure leaks do not jeopardize their green plumbing efforts. Examine ways you can reduce your carbon footprint by redesigning your eco bathrooms.
TIPS FOR REDESIGNING YOUR BATHROOM
Designing a bathroom can be a challenging task, especially if space and cost are concerns. There are many decisions that go into a bathroom redesign, from choosing a faucet, to proper plumbing and selecting a vanity. The following tips are designed to help you make the most of your new bathroom design:
- Many sinks use a central-mount faucet that use a single lever or two handles. Central-mount models are appropriate for three-hole sinks specifically.
- Wall mount faucets have long spouts that extend over the bowl of a vessel-style or freestanding sink.
Single-hole faucets combine the spout and handles into one fixture, which are ideal for small sinks and more modern, streamlined designs."
CHOOSING A VANITY
- If you have a small bathroom, the vanity provides a great opportunity to save space. A pedestal or wall mount sink will work nicely if space is a concern.
- An under mount sink is relatively easy to clean up since they don't collect much dirt, but you'll need a waterproof countertop. Under mount sinks can also be pricey and more difficult to install.
IS PORCELAIN A WISE INVESTMENT?
While porcelain is a classic material for bathroom sinks, it is not the only option available.
Glass and stainless steel are often cheaper sink options and just a durable. They are also the most popular choices for modern designs such as vessel sinks that look like bowls and pitchers. It is important to remember to avoid dropping heavy items on glass sinks.
Whether you want assistance with your bathroom redesign, need helpful DIY plumbing tips, or advice on a faucet repair or install, the plumbing experts at Roto-Rooter can help with all of your residential plumbing needs.
4 ESSENTIALS TO CREATE A LUXURY BATHROOM
Let's be honest, the bathroom is one of the most visited spots of any home. Guests and homeowners alike partake in the amenities within these spaces, from midnight bathroom breaks to luxurious shower sessions. In acknowledgment of the importance of these spaces, many homeowners are making or upgrading their bathrooms to be more sophisticated. Today, we'll take a look at some of the biggest essentials being used to create a true luxury bathroom:
How many times have you gotten out of a hot shower to the shocking cold of your bathroom? The intense shivering that commences basically nullifies the enjoyment you had just experienced, especially during winter months when homes are naturally a little bit cooler in the evening and early morning. However, this can all be changed with heated tiles. Heated tiles can provide smooth, even heat within the space with minimal energy loss. This could also cut down on the costs of a radiator to warm up the bathroom. Heated tiles aren't entirely common yet, but they are adding a sense of luxury to home bathrooms.
Consider replacing your average showerhead with a dual showerhead. It's not only a relatively cheap option to spice up your space, but it can actually provide a number of benefits as well. A dual showerhead will help improve water flow and many provide a multi-point showering experience, as it's capable of adjusting to each user. Being able to set the showerhead to the exact settings you like will provide a major spa-like feel and make showering more relaxing and enjoyable.
In many luxurious bathrooms, the tub is going to be the focal point. Although a lavish tub can take up space, it's an absolute necessity for the sake of luxury. A free-standing tub can make the room look larger than it is, provide a bit of elegance or drama, and emphasize a spa feel. The design of the room around it can further accentuate the bathtub to create an impact on future buyers or simply create the bathroom of your dreams. This oasis away from the world could be exactly what you need after a long day, and the bathtub will be essential to calming nerves, relaxing muscles and generally establishing a luxurious space within the home.
If you're willing to go all-in on luxury, the smart toilet could be a good investment for you. Although they are not entirely practical, they certainly do provide a number of benefits oh which you'll want to take advantage. First of all, their sensors activate a flush, meaning that you don't have to do it manually. Many smart toilets have other features like overflow protection, self-cleaning, self-deodorizer, heated seating and slow closing lids. How many times have you wished that you had help with a clogged toilet, or a seat that warmed itself? Smart toilets promise to provide these services to create one of the most luxurious thrones available in the house.
Luxury bathrooms are quickly becoming a priority for homeowners. With any of these five essentials, you could easily create the space of your dreams that will not only establish a spa-like environment for yourself, but could entice buyers in the future. Call your local Roto-Rooter professional today to discuss plumbing requirements for these fixtures as well as to schedule any installations.
BATHROOM FITTINGS THAT WILL UPGRADE YOUR SPACE
Whether we like to admit it or not, we all spend a lot of time in the bathroom grooming and getting ready for each day. If you're itching for a home project, consider upgrading your bathroom fittings. With a few simple changes, your bathroom will be transformed into a space all your own. And if you want to sell your home in the future, upgrading your bathroom fittings and any bathroom plumbing repairs will help bring more value to your home. Get started by changing up the following seven fittings for a modern bathroom makeover:
- Sinks. The sink is one of the focal points of a bathroom, so make sure yours is a style you love. Families and couples sharing a bathroom gravitate toward the dual-sink feature, so consider installing another sink if you only have one and if having two is a viable option. Browse a variety of sink styles, including console sinks, pedestal sinks, undermount sinks, vessel sinks, and more.
- Faucets. Sometimes you don't need to trade out sinks — you just need to upgrade your bathroom faucets. Consider brushed metals that are stylish and simple to clean, such as nickel, silver, weathered copper, gold, bronze, and pewter.
- Lighting. Want to really change the look of your bathroom? Switch out the current fixtures you have for new lights. Add extra bathroom fittings for better lighting if need be; the rule of thumb to remember is to keep the area in front of the mirror evenly illuminated and shadow-free. Also, include light sources above, below, and on both sides of the mirror, whether through natural or artificial lighting.
- Showerhead. While the tub tends to be an occasional luxury for most people, the shower is for daily use. Consider replacing your old showerhead with a slow-flow option that has a satisfying pulse and meets the flow rate of 2.5 gallons per minute. Improve the shower experience for yourself and any future homeowners.
- Towel bars. Freshen up the overall look of your bathroom with new towel bars. Shop a variety of styles and find the one that suits you.
- Toilet. You may not think your toilet needs any upgrades, but did you know that according to the Environmental Protection Agency, WaterSense-labeled models can reduce your toilet water usage by 20-60 percent, saving the average family more than $110 in utility costs annually? Now that's something to consider!
- Cabinet door handles. The smallest details can make a big difference when it comes to your bathroom makeover. Make sure all your bathroom fittings—including your cabinet door handles—match in color and style."
If you're going to begin a bathroom makeover, just remember to ensure it is proportionate to the home's market value and the standards of the neighborhood. Otherwise, you may never recoup your investment when you decide to sell your home. What are you waiting for? Start your bathroom upgrade today!
ROTO-ROOTER – YOUR TRUSTED SOURCE FOR BATHROOM REMODEL ADVICE
From relocating your toilet to selecting the right shower fixtures, a bathroom renovation can be overwhelming. Let your local Roto-Rooter plumbing professional address any questions or concerns you might have to give you the bathroom remodel results that you want- all at a cost that you can afford. Roto-Rooter is equipped to handle all of your residential plumbing needs.