Use PVC Pipes to Make Gardening Tools
For many years, individuals have used plastic piping to water their lawns, gardens, and flower beds. But the utility of your average household PVC pipe goes much farther than that. If you’re looking for a budget-friendly DIY project to spruce up your garden, explore these projects from the Pinterest-inspired plumbers at Roto-Rooter.
Drip Line System for Gardens
A regular sprinkler system isn't always the best setup for a vegetable garden. It is better to water the vegetables at their roots, ensuring water delivery right to the soil, rather than sprinkling them. In addition, tilling a garden can end up in accidental damage to pipes that are just under the surface. Yet, dragging a hose to each plant can be cumbersome and time-consuming. A great solution is a drip system made from PVC. With the following steps, you can make an effective drip system:
- Determine how far apart you want your rows. Cut pipes to that width and connect them using connector tees.
- If you want to use different amounts of water for different rows, you can use shut-off valves instead of regular connector tees.
- Put a cap on one end of this line and attach a garden hose to the other.
- At each tee, attach a pipe as long as the row you wish to water.
- Drill holes in the long pipes that correspond to the place where the plant will grow.
- Plant your crops next to the holes.
- Twist the pipe so that the holes shoot toward the base of the plant rather than into the air. Because the water goes directly to the base of the plant you will use less water with this method.
Surface Sprinkler that Entertains and Waters
If you have chronic dry spots in your yard, you can use PVC pipes to create a sprinkling system that will entertain children while watering that area. With a little creativity and a drill, you can design a structure that shoots out water for children to play in. It can be an elaborate obstacle course or a simple set of pipes set on the ground. You get your yard watered while your children get hours of entertainment on a hot summer day.
Organizing Bins for Gardening Supplies
Larger PVC pipes can be used to help you organize your gardening tools and supplies. Go to the plumbing section of your local hardware store and buy pipes large enough to hold your trowel, three-pronged fork, etc. Cut the pipes any length you desire and glue them together. If you want the storage bins to stand against a wall, design a structure with a solid base. On the other hand, if you are going to mount the bins on a wall you can be creative with your design.