Skip to main content

World Plumbing Day

Learn more about World Plumbing Day and the “Water for Life” initiative with Roto-Rooter’s informative infographic. Our infographic is designed to increase awareness regarding the lack of clean water for many populations world-wide and the importance of making changes – globally.

March 11, 2013 was designated as World Plumbing Day. The United Nations declared 2005-2015 as the International Decade for Action “Water for Life” focusing on international water related issues. The goal is to supply 97 million people annually and 138 million people sanitation services through 2015.

World-wide preventable diseases related to water and sanitation claim the lives of over 3.1 million people per year, about 354 people per hour. What can be done to prevent this? From toilets and sewage systems to hand-washing and purified drinking water, with increased awareness and the Water for Life initiative - we can help to prevent the spread of bacteria and disease through existing contaminated water sources.

How big is the problem? As of 2008, 18% of the world’s population was defecating outside. Under these circumstances, it is common for these natural water sources to be contaminated by human waste. Contaminated water causes water-born diseases like Cholera, Hepatitis which have caused millions of deaths each year.

world plumbing day

Clean Water – The Basics

Toilets and sewage systems— The U.S. has over 18,000 municipal wastewater treatment facilities serving 75% of the U.S. population, the remaining 25% utilizes septic and other on-site systems. These filtration systems are essential aspects to healthy living and clean water that simply aren’t available to those in third-world countries.  

Prevention is also key when water waste is a reality. In a world where water is a necessity, it is important understand the plumbing in your home when addressing wasted water issues.  See Roto-Rooter’s plumbing basics and understand the importance of addressing plumbing leaks promptly.  

Hand Washing- Having the basic ability to wash your hands with clean water can prevent the spread of bacteria and illness.

Purified Drinking Water: In the U.S., the public drinking water system provides treated drinking water to 90% of the population. In other parts of the world, usable drinking water isn’t available at all.

Additional Information

Learn more about many of the water basics that we in the United States take for granted. For more information about World Plumbing Day or for fun facts about virtually anything plumbing related, see Roto-Rooter’s helpful library.  

Discover how you can do your part with Roto-Rooter’s infographic as well as our extensive list of water conservation tips located online.