Skip to main content

Will Insurance Cover Water Damage to My Home?

We had a water leak in our home and now have water damage. Will homeowner’s insurance cover water damage to my home?

Insurance coverage can vary a great deal depending on the provider, as well as the specific policy and applicable riders.

Damage typically covered by insurance may include:

  • Sewer backups (often termed fill-ups by insurance)

  • Burst pipes

  • Appliance malfunctions or overflows, discharges or fill-ups

  • Weather-related water damage from melting snow, ice or tornadoes

Will your insurance cover water damage? It depends. Check with your insurance provider about your policy details and to stay fully informed in case of an emergency.

Typically, most insurance companies cover “sudden and unexpected” water damage. However, damage caused by an ongoing issue or structural problem may not be covered. Before we start any work, the professionals at Roto-Rooter will contact your insurance carrier to determine your coverage. We will also work directly with your local adjuster throughout the process, making it easier for you. Your insurance carrier may determine coverage by the cause and extent of the damage, and some coverage may be limited.

Roto-Rooter’s estimators are experienced at dealing with insurance companies and adjusters. Our team of water damage professionals will thoroughly document your loss, including taking photos before work begins, during the cleanup and restoration process, and after our work is completed. We will also include sketches and drying logs to satisfy your insurance company. Our experts will work hard to ensure a hassle-free experience for you from start to finish.