- Frequently Asked Questions
- What Are Some Plumbing Mistakes That Can Ruin A Homes Plumbing
Plumbing Mistakes That Can Ruin a Home’s Plumbing
I think I have a plumbing issue. Can I make a repair myself or should I call a plumber?
There are some minor issues that you, as a do-it-yourselfer, may be able to resolve with a little research. The problem lies in trying to tackle jobs that are beyond your expertise. Sometimes trying to fix a plumbing problem that you don’t fully understand can result in a bigger problem that could ruin plumbing or create additional problems. To avoid plumbing mistakes, call Roto-Rooter; it will save you the time and hassle.
Whenever my pipes are clogged, I just use drain cleaner. Is this a good idea?
Drain cleaners and similar chemicals have their purpose, but overusing drain cleaner is NOT a good idea. The chemicals are strong enough to clean out your pipes, but over time they can also eat away at your pipes and ruin plumbing.
Chemical drain openers work via a chemical reaction. They may include sulfuric or hydrochloric acids, or caustic ingredients such as lye, sodium hydroxide or caustic soda. The chemical nature of these products may generate heat that could soften PVC, damage older pipes, corrode steel or aluminum, or crack porcelain. Unexpected results such as splashback and toxic vapors are harmful to anyone in the area.
Another thing to note is that not all drain cleaners are meant for every type of drain, and overuse can damage the walls of both metal and PVC pipes. If you do use drain cleaner, be sure to read all labels in advance.
What are some other common mistakes when it comes to plumbing repair?
- Forgetting to shut off the water. This may sound simple, but this is a step that homeowners often forget to do. No matter how minor the repair, always shut off the water before attempting to fix the problem.
- Joining mismatched pipes. It is important to have the right size and type when joining pipes. If the wrong pipes, joints or connectors are used, leaks may occur or or pipes can break.
- Not calling a professional. Roto-Rooter’s professional plumbers deliver fast, dependable service around-the-clock and can often save you from a serious plumbing mistake.