Mold from water damage is often a concern after a flood. Mold is a type of fungus made up of decomposed organic material such as leaves, wood and plants. In small quantities, it is not usually harmful. However, large amounts of mold can cause serious health concerns for those exposed to it over time. It can also cause health problems in people with respiratory issues and weakened immune systems.
Mold after water damage can begin to grow in as little as 24 hours. It especially thrives in damp, dark environments but can begin to grow just about anywhere after a flood. Here are some steps you can take to prevent mold growth:
During the drying process, be on the lookout for mold. It often shows up in the form of fuzzy green, brown and black spores. Inspect the water-damaged area carefully, looking for visual signs of growth or odd smells that could indicate the presence of mold.
If you do find mold, remove it carefully and in a safe manner. Be sure to get rid of any furniture or other items that have begun to grow mold, and clean your walls and floors with detergent and water. If the mold growth is extensive, have water damage restoration professionals clean it for you.