Winterization & Frozen Pipe Tips
Winter is here and Roto-Rooter recommends winterizing your homes if you haven't already done so. Our plumbers have helped many homes and businesses across the country repair cracked or split pipes throughout the winter months. However, there are many things you can do to prevent pipes from freezing. Most people don’t consider the effects of colder weather on their plumbing, but we know a little preventative maintenance can go a long way.
Follow these plumbing tips to help minimize the risk of frozen pipes, and to help prevent damage and expensive repairs:
- Open cabinet doors under sinks and in storage areas to allow heat from the room to circulate around uninsulated pipes. Allow a trickle of hot and cold water to drip overnight; however, be careful not to run the water into a drain line that is exposed to the extreme cold because that line might freeze.
- Insulate all pipes in unheated areas or against uninsulated outside walls, in garages or crawl spaces. Apply heat tape or thermostat-controlled heat cables around pipes that are exposed and prone to freezing.
- Make sure the heat is turned on in a building and is set no lower than 55 degrees Fahrenheit.
If you are experiencing issues with frozen pipes we recommend the following tips:
- Shut off the water main leading into the structure to reduce pressure on frozen pipes and minimize flooding if the pipes burst.
- Use a hair dryer to thaw the ice blockage if the frozen pipe is exposed and visible. (Do not use an open flame to thaw!) If frozen pipes are not visible, contact your local Roto-Rooter plumbers, who use professional pipe-thawing equipment.
- If you currently notice slower water flow and expect frozen pipes, you should call a plumber immediately. Typically, issues like this can be resolved before any damage occurs.
Watch our home winterization video for more helpful tips and as always, if you are in need of plumbing or drain assistance do not hesitant to give us a call at 11-800-ROTO-911 (1-800-768-6911) or schedule service with us online.