Toilets already consume more than 40% of an average home’s total water usage. A toilet clog can quickly add up to a significant amount of wasted water. This is why it is important to do what you can to prevent the problem from occurring in the first place. The following are the top five causes of a toilet clog and should be avoided, if at all possible:
- Toilet paper overload - Courtesy flushes while you are using the restroom can help to prevent a clog when you are using a lot of toilet paper.
- Flushing harmful items - Your toilet is designed to dispose of waste and toilet paper. Other paper or cotton items, such as baby wipes, diapers, paper towels, cigarette butts, tampons, and sanitary napkins should be safely disposed of in a wastebasket. These items do not dissolve easily and can cause a clog in no time.
- Accumulation of waste - Over time, an accumulation of waste can cause a toilet clog because the curved trap of the toilet can easily catch obstructions. For instance, if you are consistently flushing small items like cotton balls or floss, they can become snagged on any jagged parts of your piping. This will eventually add up and begin preventing other items from going down the drain. Over time, this will cause a clog.
- Tree or plant roots - Your tree roots may have made their way into your pipes, causing the lines to back up. If there are other drains in your home that are also backed up, then this is a good indication that there is a deeper seeded problem, such as tree roots, which should be handled by a professional.
- Child’s play - If the clog was caused by a child throwing items in the toilet, then consider keeping the toilet seat down or installing childproof toilet seat locks. This will help to prevent a child from using the toilet bowl as their favorite playtime accompaniment.
While it may be simple for homeowners to clear out a toilet clog, if your toilet consistently has a problem, it can be a sign of a larger underlying issue. If you find that you are facing a toilet clog more often than you should be, then it is time to call a professional. The experts at Roto-Rooter can diagnose and fix the problem in no time.