Plumbing Fixtures: Keeping a Preventive Maintenance Program
Do you have a problem with your plumbing? There are so many possible things that can go wrong with the fixtures and appliances that supply your home with water and some which take the waste away. Fortunately, you have friends in the business of repairing your fixtures when they break. Next time you have a leaky faucet, a clogged pipe, or a hot water heater that will not produce hot water, call the experts at Roto-Rooter.
There are a number of measures you can take to keep your fixtures up-to-date and in good repair. Many folks have implemented a preventive maintenance program for their homes. With a clipboard and a homemade chart, they keep track of the upkeep of their fixtures and appliances. If you are interested in this type of program for your home, some helpful tips include the following.
- Make a list of all the fixtures that you feel should be checked on a periodic basis. These may include your water heater, the air conditioning unit, and your sump pump.
- Make a dated chart that allows you to list the above fixtures, a date, a comments section, and a place to make a check mark.
- Every few months, make a round of the listed fixtures and take note of anything that looks like it will need to be thoroughly cleaned or repaired in any way. Make note of the dates that these measures were taken. You will soon recognize a pattern of when certain tasks need to be completed.
- Change the air conditioning filters every three months or so if your air is particularly dusty.
- Your sump pump will save your home from being flooded if you live in an area with a high water table. If your pump does not come on for some reason, the water that collects in the sump pit will overflow into your home. Therefore, it is imperative that you check the pump every year at the very least. Simply pour a bucket of water into the sump pit. It should disappear within a few seconds.
- Your water heater needs to be flushed every few years. Because of sediment that builds in the tank, if you do not flush, your heater will not operate as efficiently.
A preventive maintenance program will you keep your plumbing implements in good repair and will give you peace of mind knowing that any problems will be recognized sooner, so there are no crises or lost services.