Plumbers' Top Ten Plumbing Maintenance Tips
Plumbing maintenance may seem like a daunting task for any homeowner, but it is important to keep your plumbing well maintained throughout the year. This will help to ensure that it can continue to reliably meet your needs over time and will help to preserve your home’s resale value.
Here’s a list of the top ten plumbing maintenance tips that most homeowners should follow:
- Have your plumbing inspected every year or two to help catch and correct small problems before they become large, expensive issues later.
- Inspect your plumbing and pipes for leaks and overall stability.
- Flush your water heater at least once a year.
- Test for particularly low or high water pressure.
- Make sure that your drains and plumbing fixtures are draining quickly and are producing a full swirl when they drain. Slow drainage can indicate a clogged drain or a blocked pipe.
- Keep your pipes and plumbing fixtures clean and clog-free. Simply cleaning your bathroom and kitchen fixture drains can do wonders in helping to prevent future problems.
- Check for cracked, loose, or hollow tiles in your kitchen, bathroom, and near water pipes throughout your home. Any issues with your tile may indicate that there is rotting beneath the tile or behind a wall, which may be caused by a water leak.
- Insulate exposed pipes or pipes in outside walls to prevent them from freezing in winter.
- Take advantage of professional drain-cleaning products, available from your preferred local plumbers. Generic drain-cleaning products that you would commonly find at your local home improvement or grocery store will not provide the same results as professional-grade products you would find at your Roto-Rooter plumber, so in the long run, you can actually save money and time with professional products.
- Don’t wait on repairs. If you are experiencing problems with your plumbing, have it repaired in a timely manner. The longer you wait, the worse (and more costly) the problem will become.
If you are considering selling your home anytime in the near future, it is especially important to ensure that your plumbing is in top condition. There is nothing like a plumbing or sewer problem to quickly reduce your home’s value. Make sure to take care of the issues before a home inspector breaks the news to interested homebuyers. Your local Roto-Rooter plumbers can provide you with more information on what needs to be done to get your home’s plumbing in optimal working order.