Mold is a homeowner's worst nightmare. It not only looks gross, it can be a serious health risk for you and your family. There are plenty of areas in your home that are susceptible to mold growth, especially rooms with plumbing fixtures such as the bathroom, laundry room and kitchen. Here is what you need to know about mold to protect your Minneapolis, Minnesota, home.
What is mold?
Mold is a type of fungus made up of decomposed or dead organic material such as leaves, wood and plants. In small quantities, it is not harmful to humans. However, mold can cause serious health concerns for those exposed to large amounts mold, especially black mold, over time. Mold can cause even worse health problems in people with weakened immune systems.
Signs of mold
It can be hard to miss mold if it isn't visible, but most mold thrives in dark, damp places - which can include spots you can't see, like your ceilings or beneath the floor. However, our bodies can be very affected by this growing fungi, as can the other living things in our homes like pets and plants.
If you notice your allergies are a lot worse when you're inside your house, it could be a sign of growing mold. This fungi can also be very odorous. If you smell a strange, pungent odor, the culprit may be mold. Lastly, some mold is easy to spot because of it's clearly visible growth. Small mold patches must not be ignored because this bacteria can spread easily.
The important thing to remember is to be very aware of your surroundings so mold doesn't slip by without you noticing. Having mold checks a couple of times a year is a good way to ensure that you don't miss this harmful fungi.
How to be proactive
If you discover you have mold, waste no time hiring a professional to get rid of it. There are also plenty of preventative measures you can take to ensure this fungus doesn't grow in your house. Here are a couple of them:
Be sure to clean regularly to kill harmful bacteria.
Fix any leaky faucets or other plumbing fixtures.
Take preventative action during storms if you have a basement susceptible to flooding.
Dry wet areas immediately.
Regulate your home's temperature with an air conditioner.
It's important to remember to keep a close eye on all your plumbing fixtures because mold cannot grow without water. Most mold can grow if your home is wet for more than 24 hours.
Mold is no joke. At the first sign of large mold growth call your local Minneapolis Roto-Rooter for removal advice.
We use your ZIP code to give you local services and offers.