How to Improve Your Toilet's Performance
Did you know that toilets can consume more than 40% of your total household water usage? Fortunately, by simply keeping your toilet clean and well maintained year round, you can help to ensure that your toilet is not wasting any water. Some of the best ways to improve your toilet’s performance are as follows:
- Install a new flapper and fill valve - This will help to fix most problems and can have your toilet running efficiently in no time.
- Invest in a new toilet - If your toilet is more than 15 years old, it is time to upgrade. Along with providing improved performance, newer models can also help to save you water and money every month by using less water per flush. This is better for you, your monthly utility bills, and the environment.
- Choose eco-friendly solutions - Choosing dual-flush or low-flow toilets can help to save water every time you flush, while providing superior performance.
- Check for leaks and other plumbing issues - You can check for leaks by simply running a dry paper towel around the base of your toilet to check for any leaking water. You can also add a few drops of food coloring into your toilet tank, wait 15 minutes, and if the water in the bowl is colored, then you know you have a leak. You should also be aware of any changes in your plumbing’s performance so that you can stay on top of plumbing issues.
- Take care of any plumbing problems as soon as possible - If you do have a problem, don’t leave it unaddressed for any longer than necessary. The longer a plumbing problem is left, the worse (and more costly) it will become with time.
- Eliminate tree roots in your pipes - If you have found that tree or plant roots have made their way into your pipes and are clogging your toilet, choose a quality root destroyer treatment that can safely eliminate the offending roots, without affecting your plant’s useful roots. Typically, these effective enzyme treatments can be poured into your toilet to reach the source of the problem.
Your local Roto-Rooter can provide you with more information on what you can do to help improve your toilet’s performance. If you are in the market for a new toilet, make sure to ask about which efficient low-flow solutions would be best for your home or business to ensure optimal performance and value.