What Are the Best Products for Plumbing Maintenance?
Drain clogs can spell trouble for any homeowner. Along with being a nuisance, they can also lead to large, costly problems in the future.
Fortunately, simple plumbing maintenance can help to prevent any future problems from occurring. There are also a number of affordable drain care products that you can invest in to help treat and prevent any problems. Here are some of the most common (and useful) products on the market:
- Strainers—These are ideal for any drains, including your kitchen and bathroom sinks, showers and tubs, and even your washing machine hose. Strainers can help to prevent hair, soap, debris, and other items from entering and clogging your drains. These are relatively inexpensive and can be found at any local hardware store.
- Drain-cleaning products—These will quickly flush out any items that are causing the clog and can even help to prevent future problems from occurring. If you are going to invest in drain care products, make sure to choose quality over cost. While you don’t want to spend an arm and a leg on plumbing products, you also don’t want to waste money on ineffective products that will lead to deflated hopes and expectations. Your plumber should be able to provide the products you need, or can at least lead you in the right direction of what to get and where to find the products you need.
- Toilet locks—Child-proof toilet locks will help to prevent your child from opening the toilet and dropping harmful items in that can lead to clogs and damage to your plumbing.
- Large, obvious kitchen and bathroom trashcans—Many times, drain clogs are caused by people throwing things down the drain or in the toilet, so having a trashcan conveniently placed nearby will help to encourage your family and guests from dropping things down the drain.
- Drain snakes —These can be used to fish out whatever is causing the clog.
Call Your Plumber
While there are certain ways to clear out a drain clog on your own, it is usually best to just leave the work to a professional who can take care of it once and for all. Once they assess the source of the problem, they can also advise you on how to prevent the same types of problems in the future. Make sure to also ask about any plumbing maintenance tips they may have to help preserve your drains and plumbing for years to come.
For more information call your local Roto-Rooter.