Thanksgiving is right around the corner! A combination of holiday guests, meal preparation and cleanup can easily put a strain on your home's plumbing system. The day after Thanksgiving is the busiest day of the year for the residential plumbers at Roto-Rooter and we are always prepared to tackle a variety of plumbing problems surrounding this holiday season.
Roto-Rooter suggests following the tips below to reduce the chance of a plumbing emergency this Thanksgiving:
- Never pour fats or cooking oils down drains as they solidify in pipes. Instead, wipe grease from pots with paper towels and discard in the trash.
- Avoid putting stringy, fibrous or starchy waste in the garbage disposal. Poultry skins, celery, fruit & potato peels, for example, cannot be sufficiently ground up.
- Make sure the disposal is running when you put food into it. Don't wait until it's full to turn it on.
- When hosting guests, it's a good idea to wait ten minutes between showers so slow drains have time to do their job and water has time to reheat.
- Never flush cotton balls, swabs, hair or facial scrub pads down a toilet. They don't dissolve and will cause clogs.
- Try to address any plumbing problems before the holiday and before guests arrive.
- As always, know your limits. Often, minor plumbing problems turn into plumbing catastrophes if not handled properly.
If you are in need of plumbing service this Thanksgiving, don't hesitate to call Roto-Rooter at 1-800-ROTO-911 (1-800-768-6911) or schedule service online.