How to Properly Maintain Your Kitchen Appliances
The vast majority of household energy costs are generated in the bathroom and kitchen. In order to help keep costs down, it is important to properly maintain your kitchen and take measures to ensure that everything is working optimally.
Maintaining Your Large Kitchen Appliances
In order to get the most out of your large kitchen appliances and fixtures, it is crucial to keep your appliances clean and well maintained year-round. There are a number of other important measures that you can take to preserve your plumbing fixtures and appliances, including the following:
- Clean out your dishwasher filter so that water can move through more efficiently. The dishwasher strainer also needs to be regularly cleaned out to prevent clogs and to allow water to flow through more easily.
- Clean your oven and stove regularly to save money on your electricity and/or gas.
- Use cold water to clean to help save money and energy on heating the water. Cold water can provide an equally good clean, so you will not miss out if you avoid using hot water.
- Invest in a faucet aerator and keep it clean to ensure that it can maintain good water pressure.
- Many people keep an extra fridge or freezer in the garage, but this is usually a bad idea. It is important to keep your refrigerator in an air-conditioned space so that it doesn’t have to work as hard to cool your items, saving energy and money in both the long and short term.
- Keep a good seal on your fridge by cleaning the door seals around the corners of the fridge. You can easily do this using a small amount of dish soap and water.
- If you will be away on vacation or do not need to use your appliances, keep energy costs down by turning them off.
- Apply an enzyme treatment or effective pipe shield at least once a month to help prevent clogs and other common problems.
Don’t wait until it’s too late to call a licensed plumbing company about an issue because the longer you wait, the worse the problem will become over time. Your local plumber can provide you with more kitchen maintenance tips to help you maintain your kitchen plumbing fixtures and appliances. They should also be able to advise you on ways to save money on your monthly water and energy bills.
For more information, call your local Roto-Rooter today.